Engaged Organizations: St. Vincent de Paul School, Mt. Vernon, OH
- Engaged Organizations: St. Vincent de Paul School, Mt. Vernon, OH
- St. Vincent de Paul School participates in the following creation care related programs and initiatives: collaboration with the Hope Now program, annual K-6 field trip to The Brown Family Environmental Center at Kenyon College, annual 5th grade summer camp, A Bench for Caps program, providing plants to local businesses, demographics charity project, and a future project creating tarps to donate to homeless shelters.
Creation care work at St Vincent de Paul School, Mt. Vernon, began in 2006 when the school received funding from the Knights of Columbus to purchase a dishwasher for their kitchen. Following this, the school began participating in the Hope Now program – an organization that provides used old donated doors to build tables. The school provides transportation to their annual K-6 field trip to The Brown Family Environmental Center at Kenyon College and their annual 5th grade summer camp through Lutheran Outdoor Ministries in Ohio (students take turns weighing food waste). Additional sustainability projects include collaboration with the parish and the local community. The school participated in an all-parish project through the Green Tree Plastics company’s A Bench for Caps sustainability program (students collected and sorted bottle caps in exchange for three benches). The school plans to create a grotto area using their three recycled benches. In order to foster green living and healthy community-school relations, the school provided planter flowers to local businesses.
Administrators at St. Vincent de Paul acknowledge the importance of maintaining social justice programs in accordance with Laudato Si's urgent message to care for the poor. Students from Beth’s Robinson's 6th grade social studies classes participate in a demographics project. Each year students select one continent, usually Africa, to learn more about the conditions of poverty. The class then raises money through various fundraisers and donate to parts of the continent through Catholic Relief Services. An upcoming project includes having students sew plastic bags together to create tarps to be donated to homeless shelters in the area.
- St. Vincent de Paul School
- Hope Now Furniture Bank
- Kenyon Directories
- Greentree Plastics ABC program
- Catholic Relief Services
- Lutheran Outdoor Camps
- Roman Catholic
- Elementary School (grade K-5)
- Middle School (grade 6-8)
- The original html version of this resource was accessed at https://www.greentreeplastics.com/abc-program/ on December 14, 2019.
- Resources For Action
- Success Stories
- Green Building